vesicle n : a small anatomically normal sac or bladderlike structure (especially one containing fluid) [syn: cyst]
- /ˈvɛsɪkl/, /"vEsIkl/
- Hyphenation: ves·icle
- A membrane-bound compartment found in a cell.
- A small bladder-like cell or cavity.
- A small sac or cyst or vacuole, especially one containing fluid. A blister formed in or beneath the skin, containing serum. A bleb.
- A pocket of embryonic tissue that is the beginning of an organ.
- A small cavity formed in volcanic rock by entrapment of a gas bubble during solidification.
cytology: membrane-bound compartment
small bladderlike cell or cavity
anatomy: small sac or cyst
- Finnish: rakko
anatomy: pocket of embryonic tissue
geology: small cavity
Vesicle may refer to:
- Synaptic vesicle
- Auditory vesicle
- Optic vesicles
- Seminal vesicle
- Subsporangial vesicle
- Vesical arteries
- Vesicle (biology), a relatively small and enclosed compartment within a cell
- Vesicle (dermatology), a liquid-filled cavity under the epidermis, commonly called a blister.
- Vesicular texture, a small enclosed cavity found in some volcanic rock, such as basalt
vesicle in German: Vesikel
vesicle in Spanish: Vesícula
vesicle in French: Vésicule
vesicle in Dutch: Vesicle
air bubble, balloon, bilge, birthmark, blackhead, bladder, blain, bleb, blemish, blister, blob, blood blister, boss, bow, bubble, bulb, bulge, bulla, bump, bunch, burl, button, cahot, check, chine, cicatrix, clump, comedo, condyle, convex, crack, crater, craze, defacement, defect, deformation, deformity, disfiguration, disfigurement, distortion, dowel, ear, fault, fever blister, flange, flap, flaw, freckle, gall, globule, gnarl, handle, hemangioma, hickey, hill, hump, hunch, jog, joggle, keloid, kink, knob, knot, knur, knurl, lentigo, lip, loop, lump, milium, mole, mountain, needle scar, nevus, nub, nubbin, nubble, papilloma, peg, pimple, pit, pock, pockmark, port-wine mark, port-wine stain, pustule, rib, ridge, rift, ring, scab, scar, scratch, sebaceous cyst, shoulder, soap bubble, spine, split, strawberry mark, stud, sty, style, tab, track, tubercle, tubercule, twist, verruca, wale, warp, wart, weal, welt, wen, whitehead